American Moon Moth -- Actias luna
A common moth in Eastern North America. Luna moths have successive broods and caterpillars feed on a variety of trees including Sweetgum and Walnut.
The last brood overwinters as a cocoon, either attached to a twig or most commonly in the leaf litter. Wandering caterpillars looking to cocoon for the winter can sometimes be found off their host plants in fall, and appear orange and green.
A classic and beautiful member of the moon moth family.
- One gorgeous real American Moon Moth specimen
- Pendleton, Oregon handmade poplar wood frame, sanded and stained, with a lifetime hand rubbed polyurethane finish
- Double glass shadowbox for viewing the specimen from front and back
- Sawtooth hanger on back for wall mounting
- Laser engraving on back to show the uniqueness of this handmade item
- Frame outside dimensions approximately 7.5 inches x 7.5 inches.
- Select from a dark or naturally stained wood frame
**Frames are on a special order basis. If not in immediate stock, they may take up to a fortnight to ship based on specimen availability. Specimens are rehydrated, spread, dehydrated, sealed into the frame with love, and shipped.