Anise Swallowtail Chrysalis -- LIVE BUTTERFLY
Anise Swallowtail Chrysalis -- Papilio zelicaon
****SHIPPING only to addresses in OREGON, WASHINGTON STATE, and IDAHO USA****
****Available again in Fall 2020****
Within Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, this beautiful small butterfly can be found in almost any habitat. The caterpillars accept a wide range of host plants from the parsley and carrot families, and can sometimes be found on garden parsley and fennel.
There are multiple broods in Oregon, with the last caterpillars overwintering as pupae to eclose (hatch) in April. Desert populations typically just have one spring brood, as the host plant is dried up before the start of summer.
- You will receive one Anise Swallowtail chrysalis, inspected for quality and weight before shipping.
- Chrysalis is diapausing (sleeping through the winter)
- We guarantee shipping a live chrysalis. Because this is a live animal, there are no other guarantees after shipment.
- We recommend ordering two (2) or more chrysalids, as occasionally one won't make it through winter/fridge. This is rare, but does occur in nature from time to time.
- Keep inside in a pop-up tent/rearing cage (also available on our site), on top of paper towel.
- Mist daily, as inside air is quite dry.
- Chrysalis should eclose (hatch) in 3-6 weeks.
- Wild release
- There are many resources and online groups to handle questions about live butterflies and pupae care. Send us an email if you get stuck :)
More in depth instructions and discussion: