Western Tiger Swallowtail chrysalis LIVE BUTTERFLY
Available again in November 2021
Western Tiger Swallowtail -- Papilio rutulus
***Overwintering pupae. Keep cool on a natural light cycle, and fridge per overwintering blog instructions at Thanksgiving.
****Shipping to OR, WA, AZ, ID, CO, MT, UT, CA, MN, NV, and WY
A common and lovely butterfly throughout the Pacific Northwest, thriving in the desert and wet valley side all the way to the coast.
Larvae feed on a variety of trees including willow, cottonwood, ash, and sycamore.
There is one main late spring/early summer flight in Oregon. Occasionally there is a second brood.
- You will receive one Western Tiger Swallowtail chrysalis, inspected for quality and weight before shipping.
- Chrysalis is diapausing (sleeping through the winter for eclosion in SPRING 2021). Mist every couple of days, and follow overwintering instructions at the end of November.
- We guarantee shipping a live chrysalis. Because this is a live animal, there are no other guarantees after shipment.
- We recommend ordering two (2) or more chrysalids, as occasionally one won't make it through winter/fridge. This is rare, but does occur in nature from time to time.
General Directions in spring, if the chrysalid is overwintered in the fridge:
- Keep inside in a pop-up tent/rearing cage (also available on our site), on top of paper towel.
- Mist every couple of days, as inside air is quite dry.
- Chrysalis should eclose (hatch) in 3-6 weeks.
- Wild release
- There are many resources and online groups to handle questions about live butterflies and pupae care. Send us an email if you get stuck :)
More in depth instructions and discussion: