Two Tailed Tiger Swallowtail chrysalis LIVE BUTTERFLY
Two-Tailed Swallowtail -- Papilio multicaudata
***Overwintering pupae. Keep cool on a natural light cycle, and fridge per overwintering blog instructions at Thanksgiving.
****Shipping only to Oregon, Washington State, Idaho, and California USA
The second largest butterfly in North America, and the largest in the Pacific Northwest. These are quite a sight!
Common in the dry desert regions in Eastern Washington and Oregon south into Mexico, the larvae feed on Chokecherry and also ornamental Ash trees.
There is one main late spring/early summer flight in Oregon, with a second smaller flight in mid-August.
- You will receive one Two Tailed Swallowtail chrysalis, inspected for quality and weight before shipping.
- Chrysalis may or may not be diapausing (sleeping through the winter for eclosion in SPRING 2021). Mist every couple of days, and if it doesn't eclose (hatch) this year, follow overwintering instructions at the end of November.
- We guarantee shipping a live chrysalis. Because this is a live animal, there are no other guarantees after shipment.
- We recommend ordering two (2) or more chrysalids, as occasionally one won't make it through winter/fridge. This is rare, but does occur in nature from time to time.
General Directions in spring, if the chrysalid is overwintered in the fridge:
- Keep inside in a pop-up tent/rearing cage (also available on our site), on top of paper towel.
- Mist every couple of days, as inside air is quite dry.
- Chrysalis should eclose (hatch) in 3-6 weeks.
- Wild release
- There are many resources and online groups to handle questions about live butterflies and pupae care. Send us an email if you get stuck :)
More in depth instructions and discussion: