Anise Swallowtail -- Double Sided Pendant Necklace-- Papilio zelicaon
Within Oregon and the Pacific Northwest, this beautiful small butterfly can be found in almost any habitat. The caterpillars accept a wide range of host plants from the parsley and carrot families, and can sometimes be found on garden parsley and fennel.
There are multiple broods in Oregon, with the last caterpillars overwintering as pupae to eclose (hatch) in April. Desert populations typically just have one spring brood, as the host plant is dried up before the start of summer.
We farm hundreds Anise Swallowtails each year, with laying females easily providing eggs on desert parsley on our farm. Eggs are then transferred to feed on fennel, as fennel grows much larger and provides more food for many hungry caterpillars.
- Two gorgeous real Anise Swallowtail wing sections, hindwing on front and forewing on back.
- 20 mm domed glass on each side for a magnifying effect.
- Antique silver metal tone.
- Select 18 inch or 24 inch chain
- Made for you item. Please allow about a week from ordering to shipping.